Home | Browse Topics | Immigration & refugees | Immigration | If you’re here illegally: Understanding your options

Immigration & refugees

Chapters in this topic

If you’re here illegally: Understanding your options


If your visa has expired, this means you’re now here illegally (in immigration law, this is called having “unlawful status”, or being here “unlawfully”). Once your status becomes unlawful, you generally have no right to apply for a new visa, and you may have to leave the country. However, you do have some options:

  • you can apply for a visa as a special case under section 61 of the Immigration Act,
  • you can appeal to the Immigration and Protection Tribunal on humanitarian grounds.

Did this answer your question?


Where to go for more support

Community Law


Your local Community Law Centre can provide free initial legal advice and information.

Immigration New Zealand


Immigration New Zealand is the government organisation that deals with visa applications and other immigration issues. It’s part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.


You can read Immigration NZ’s Operational Manual at www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual

Immigration and Protection Tribunal


Also available as a book

The Community Law Manual

The Community Law Manual is a trail-blazing resource that helps Kiwis (and their advocates) help themselves. The Manual contains over 800 pages of easy-to-read legal info, on just about every area of community and personal life. Re-released every year in July, the Manual provides comprehensive answers to common legal questions.

Buy The Community Law Manual

Help the manual

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Donate Become a Supporter

Find the Answer to your Legal Question

back to top